The department of English is one of the inaugural departments of Sitaram Mahato Memorial College, which commenced its journey in 2013 with BA General Course in English. The Honours course in English commenced from form the year 2014 onwards. Presently the intake capacity of the department is 22 students in Honours Course. There are three faculty members in the department namely:
The department strongly believes in a student centred approach to inculcate appreciation for literature among its scholars, in order to synchronise value based education with academic excellence. An active participation of the students in myriad departmental activities both within and beyond the campus enhances our vision of establishing a healthy teaching-learning atmosphere within the department.
The department has proven its ardour by participating and winning in myriad external events on one hand, and on the other hand maintaining its dynamism within the campus by putting up its wall magazine 'Envisage' and organizing a departmental seminars at regular intervals.
- Wall Magazine: The departmental wall magazine ‘Envisage’ embodies the ingenious verve of the students, who express their creative as well as critical views through the wall magazine. It is unveiled annually in the month of March.
- Departmental Seminar: To encourage reading beyond the curriculum, the department has started organising departmental seminars where the students actively express their views on classical as well as contemporary literature and literary trends.
- Departmental Tours: Looking beyond the campus serves to broaden the outlook of the students, as well as to foster a stronger emotional bond among the students. Keeping this in view the department encourages excursions for pleasure as well as for participation in various cultural, literary and social programmes.
- Remedial Classes: To empower students better in the use of English language, the department has taken the initiative to organize remedial classes in Spoken English and English grammar.
- Audio-Visual learning: To comprehend literature’s free movement across media—from text to celluloid, the department has taken the initiative to screen the cinematic adaptation of major literary work, both within the syllabus as well as beyond it.